Federal Grants in Aid

Federal Student Grants  

 The federal government is making federal grants more accessible than ever before to students. Whether students are in their teens and attending for the time or interested in teaching coursework, there is some form of aid for you.

 Student Grants vs. Loans

The great thing about grants? You generally don’t have to pay them back, unlike loans. That’s why you should apply to as many grants as possible. A smaller load of debt will help you get a head start financially after graduation.

The fact that grants are free money means you have to put together a solid financial aid application that contains accurate, complete information.  The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) contains all the information that the federal government needs to award a grant.

Undergraduate Degrees

For people going for their first degrees, the following grants can help them with their school expenses.

Federal Pell Grants are awarded to people getting their first undergraduate degrees. The only exception is the grant is available to people interested in earning a teaching certificate. Grants of varying amounts are awarded every semester based on your financial need, whether you are a full-time or part-time student and the cost of attendance.

Best for: People with no criminal convictions who are getting their undergraduate degrees with a high amount of financial need (people whose families can’t fund their education) should apply. The government restricts grant winners to a total of 12 semesters of aid.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity (FSEOG) is for students at select colleges. It is not available at all colleges and is reserved first for students who qualify for the Pell Grant and then distributed to other students with a high financial need. Students receive up to $4,000 a year.

Best for: Students with a high degree of financial need who can apply early for financial aid should apply. Each school sets their own deadlines, unlike Pell Grants, so check on the deadlines at your school.Since funds are limited, those who apply first have an advantage.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) support students interested in teaching. The unique part of the TEACH Grant is that you must take approved classes relocated to your future teaching career. In the event that you complete classes successfully, but enter another field of work, it will be converted into a loan and you will pay the grant back. Each student earns up to $4,000 a year if he agrees to teach for at least 4 years after completing the degree at a school that serves low-income students. Students must check that their schools have a TEACH Grant-eligible program to be eligible for the grant. Grants are dependent on grades, which differ at each school.

Best for: People who want to teach as their career should apply. This grant is best for those who are dedicated to teaching low-income kids and who think they will make high grades in the teaching related coursework.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants are awarded to people who aren’t eligible for the Pell Grant and who have a parent who died after 9/11/2001 in Afghanistan or Iraq. Applicants must either be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of the death. This grant maximum is $5,550.

Best for: Children of veterans killed during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

US Government Grants has a variety a grant writing training programs to teach teens, college students, and adults to successfully write and win federal student grants. Check out our workshop schedule or contact us today at 866-843-3493.

Add new comment